Thursday, August 12, 2010

So Authors, How Do YOU Like it?


I've been reviewing books for a while now (about 2 1/2 years) and I like to think I do a pretty good job with my reviews :)   I am sure if I googled "How To Write A Book Review" I would find hundreds of links with differing opinions on what makes a "good" review.  What you should and shouldn't include, what you should or shouldn't do.  I prefer not to read any of those articles because I don't want to know what I'm "doing wrong."

But I've always wondered what AUTHORS (and publishers/publicists) like to see in the review of their books. Maybe I do need to alter the style of my reviews to accommodate what the authors are looking for when I write my reviews. 

So authors (publishers/publicists)...., do you like a recap of the book with a summary at the end? Just the reviewers thoughts on the book?  Long? Short? A breakdown of characters/settings/theme, etc?  A summary of the back with some line tying in the title or theme of the book?  If the reader has received an ARC do you like when the review is posted early? If so, how early? Or do you prefer that the review is posted on the publication date so that it's fresh in the minds of those that are reading it. Maybe the review could be posted after it's read and then "bumped up" to the top of the blog on release day?

What about after the review is posted?  Do you try and comment on some? All?  Do you comment on both the good and bad?  If the review is negative do you try and "explain" yourself to the reviewer? Or do you balance that against all of positive reviews and take it 'with a grain of salt'?  And what do you do with the review that is clear B.S? Where it's obvious the person didn't even read the book.  Do you have a preference as to where reviews are posted (Amazon, BN, Good Reads, Midwest Reviews, etc)?

I'm just doing a little info gathering here, trying to get a better understanding on what authors are looking for when it comes to reviewing their books.  Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your thoughts (about any and/or all of the above).

Below are some samples of reviews (some mine, some a friend who gave me permission to reprint her review, and some I've written based on what I've seen "out there". 

So Authors, How Do YOU like it?